Our vision is to offer a differentiated programme of movement and sport which ensures that all students:
- develop skills to excel in a broad range of physical activities
- are physically active for sustained periods of time
- engage in competitive sports and activities
- understand the importance of personal health, fitness and safety and lead healthy, active lives
- foster a lifetime love of sport.
Key Stage 3
All students participate in at least two hours of PE every week in key stage 3.
Years 7 and 8
Students participate in a spiral curriculum, building on skills and techniques each year throughout key stage 3.
Students are taught to:
- use a range of tactics and strategies to overcome opponents in direct competition through team and individual games
- develop their technique and improve their performance in competitive sports
- perform dances using advanced dance techniques within a range of dance styles and forms
- take part in outdoor and adventurous activities which present intellectual and physical challenges and be encouraged to work in a team, building on trust and developing skills to solve problems, either individually or as a group
- analyse their performances compared to previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best
- take part in competitive sports and activities outside school through community links or sports clubs.
Key Stage 4
All students participate in at least two hours of PE every week at key stage 4.
All students have the option to study the following courses: Sports Leaders and Dance Leaders. The leadership award is a nationally recognised qualification that teaches leadership skills such as organisation, planning, communication and teamwork through either dance or sporting activities. Students can also opt to take BTEC level1/level 2 First Award in Sport level 1.
Unit 1 - Fitness and body systems
Unit 2 - Health and performance
Unit 3 - Practical application
Assessment and Examinations (Edexcel)
Fitness and body systems (36% external assessment)
Health and performane (24% external examination)
Practical performance (30% controlled assessment))
Personal excercie programme (PEP) (10% controlled assessment)
Key Stage 5
For details of our Key Stage 5 curriculum, please see our Sixth Form prospectus.
Extra Curricular Opportunities
We offer a wide range of extra-curricular sports clubs and activities including:
- Football coaching
- Badminton club
- Gaelic football club
- Girls Nike training
- Trampoline Club
- Rugby Club
- Basketball Club
- Handball Club
- Korfball Club