Our vision is to offer a differentiated programme of movement and sport which ensures that all students:
- develop skills to excel in a broad range of physical activities
- are physically active for sustained periods of time
- engage in competitive sports and activities
- understand the importance of personal health, fitness and safety and lead healthy, active lives
- foster a lifetime love of sport.
Key Stage 3
All students participate in at least two hours of PE every week in key stage 3.
Years 7 and 8
Students participate in a spiral curriculum, building on skills and techniques each year throughout key stage 3.
Students are taught to:
- use a range of tactics and strategies to overcome opponents in direct competition through team and individual games
- develop their technique and improve their performance in competitive sports
- perform dances using advanced dance techniques within a range of dance styles and forms
- take part in outdoor and adventurous activities which present intellectual and physical challenges and be encouraged to work in a team, building on trust and developing skills to solve problems, either individually or as a group
- analyse their performances compared to previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best
- take part in competitive sports and activities outside school through community links or sports clubs.
Key Stage 4
All students participate in at least two hours of PE every week at key stage 4.
All students have the option to study the following courses: Sports Leaders and Dance Leaders. The leadership award is a nationally recognised qualification that teaches leadership skills such as organisation, planning, communication and teamwork through either dance or sporting activities. Students can also opt to take GCSE Physical Education.
GCSE Physical Education core units:
- Unit 1: Fitness and body systems
- Unit 2: Health and performance
- Unit 3: Practical application
Assessment and Examinations (Edexcel)
- Fitness and body systems (36% external assessment)
- Health and performance (24% external examination)
- Practical performance (30% controlled assessment)
- Personal excercise programme (10% controlled assessment)
Key Stage 5
For details of our Key Stage 5 curriculum, please see our Sixth Form prospectus.
Extra Curricular Opportunities
We offer a wide range of extra-curricular sports clubs and activities including:
- Football coaching
- Table tennis
- Badminton club
- Cricket club
- Girls Nike training
- Rowing club
- Trampoline Club
- Rugby Club
- Basketball Club
- Handball Club
- Korfball Club
- Gymnastics club
- Athletics club