Key Stage 4 Options
All of the information on this page relates to students currently in Year 8 (in the 2018-2019 academic year) and who will begin their GCSE/BTEC Key Stage 4 courses in September 2019 when they start Year 9.
At the bottom of this page you will find a link to the Key Stage 4 Options booklets for Year 8.
Within the booklet you will find:
- An explanation of the curriculum for all students
- Guidance on which parts of the curriculum are core (and studied by everyone) and which parts have an element of personalisation and/or choice
- Information about all of the subjects within the curriculum (core and those from which students select)
- Key dates in the options process
- Examples of each of the two options forms which help to make clear where an element of choice is offered to students.
- Each student has his/her own hard copy of the booklet which is currently being used in tutor times to support students in discussing, navigating and using the booklet. They will then bring the booklet home for further reading and reflection. The content of the booklet on the website is exactly the same as the hard copy students are using at school.
Options assemblies began in January and work supporting students’ understanding of the Key Stage 4 curriculum continues in assemblies, tutor time and subject lessons up until Monday, 1 April 2019 when the options forms must be submitted. The Key Dates section in the booklet gives more information about the process, including the support available, which includes the Options Information Evening on Thursday, 7 March 2019 from 16:30-18:00. There will be a 15 minute talk by Ms Giles, The Year Leader, explaining the options process and what choices students need to make. The talk will be run twice, once at 16:45 and once at 17:15. Seats will be allocated in order of arrival. The rest of the time students and their parent/carer are able to visit any subject areas they would like to learn more about. A tour booklet will be made available on arrival.
Students always enjoy the options process and it is a really good time for all to reflect on their transition to Key Stage 4 and the opportunities that offers.
We hope that you will find the booklet useful and we look forward to seeing you at the Options Information Evening. Please contact your child’s tutor or Year Leader should you wish to know more.